October 9, 2010

Syrup-Free Inspiration

Fresh French Toast: Stacked, lightly battered french toast delicately covered with fresh fruit (seasonal) under drizzled local honey.


This morning, while thinking about the few groceries I own, I was inspired by The American Farm for an upcoming meal. At a farm, staple ingredients like eggs and bread are always on hand. My apartment also consistently stores simple ingredients. For those of you who don't know me very well, I love honey, and I have tried it on every food that I eat regularly. I also prefer not to eat high-fructose corn syrup when I can avoid it, which generally means expensive maple syrup, or none at all. This meal will have none at all.


Buttered bread, dipped in whipped egg (a little milk added to the mix), fried makes great french toast. I will be mincing (if I can) strawberries (Kroger-willing. I am not sure if it is in season, so blueberries or blackberries will be my backup), and mixing the fruit with the same fruit chopped, possibly adding sugar to the fruit topping. The fruit topping will go directly on top of the french toast and then it will be beautifully covered in honey. Powdered sugar will also be added, if I happen to find some in the house.


The dish will be paired with a fine 1% milk.


(Easily altered, the strawberries are on the side and the toast is topped with powdered sugar waiting for syrup, for my roomie.)

No comments:

Post a Comment